Cats/kitten eats solids, still wants to nurse

Question
A stray cat had kittens and one adopted my mom after the momma cat disappeared when the kittens were a little over 2 weeks old. My mom fed all three(my brother took the other two) kitten food that was mixed with water to make it soft. Now the kitten Scrappy is around two months old, and eats solid food, but tries to nurse on everything! Including but not limited to my two year old golden retriever, my male 4 year old cat, blankets, etc. I'm not sure what to do, or how to break this habit, or if maybe we should give him a bottle once a day even though he is eating solids  

Answer
Hi
Kittens normally wean onto solid foods between 8 and 12 weeks of age so this little chap is still very young and so i am not surprised that he still tries to nurse.

All you can do is to try and distract him when he does try to nurse with a game etc. It may also suggest that he is hungry when he does it so give him a little food to appease his appetite.

he should grow out of it soon, just try to discourage the behavior in the mean time.

i have some pages on my web site about kitten care and weaning which you may find of further interest. here is the first age

/kitten-weaning.html

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth