Cats/pet peeve?

Hello Kate.  Hope all is well.  A long time ago I saw a booklet about cats that had "why cats don't like to be stared at" on the cover(among other phrases).  I assume it contained facts about cats but I did not stop to read it.  Is there any truth to that statement?  Do cats not like being stared at?  Thank you for any insight.

Answer by KAte
well no animal likes to be stared at as it is a sign of aggression. But staring would mean a non blinking straight in the eye stare.

Cats do like eye contact though and if you do get eye contact with your cat it is a good idea to close your eyes briefly, this is a sign of affection and sort of saying hello. You will often notice them doing it to you when they look at you.

Cats body language etc is fascinating and if you are interested in the subject well worth reading up about. I had a book called cat watching years ago which was a really interesting read.

best wishes KAte

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.