Cats/tummy bug?

My 5 month old kitten has had diarrhea since sunday and has been sick 3 times
times in the last hour. Could it be a tummy bug or the food he is given? He is an indoor
Cat at the moment. How long do I wait before I take him to the vet?

make sure he drinks plenty of water to prevent dehydration. this is the main concern at this time.

It could be either a bug or the food, kittens can be very susceptible to all sorts of bugs etc.

Please see my page about cat diarrhea for more info on how to help them at this early stage

If he is still the same in another two days or if he gets worse or stops drinking water then get him to the vets.

Hopefully it is is a just a tummy bug which will sort itself out in a day or two.

best wishes KAte

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.