Cats/Cat Behaviour Problem

Hi I wonder if you can help.

I have a 1 year old Male Cat and in the last few weeks he
has been showing some aggressive behaviour towards me. He is
fine 99% of the time then suddenly just turns he bit my hand
the other day and wouldnt let go until I shook him off. He
seems to be fine then will slowly move up to me and then
looks to pounce by either biting or clawing at me and also
making a low hissing type noise as he does it. It is now
becoming a rather annoying problem and I have no idea why he
is showing this behaviour. Any ideas or help would be great.

This is purely a game for your cat and is not sinister at all.  Often cat games involve pouncing and hunting it in part of their instinct. the trick is to make sure that he knows that this biting you is not acceptable.

To do this you need to teach him that when he bites he gets a negative reaction and a negative reaction to a cat is being ignored etc. Please see this page for more on this technique

Give him other toys to play with and praise him when he plays properly but as soon as he starts on your hand you need to walk away.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.