Cats/mother daughter cat fights

A stray had kittens in our garage and we brought one in right away and brought the mother in a year later and they fight constantly. do they not realize their relationship with one another? how do i get them to stop fighting?

cats do not have the same attachments to each other regardless of their relationship as we do. If they are both un spayed / neutered then they will fight, mainly due for territory and competition etc. Having them spayed etc would help this situation.

They may also benefit from being introduced to each other slowly and in a controlled manner as this helps to build confidence in each other without the fear of attack.The process is described here

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.