Cats/pregnant cat

Hi Kate,
I have a 5 year old female cat that I rescued and an 18 month old female that I believe is pregnant. Generally they get on very well and the older one accepted the younger one very quickly. I am not sure if things will be so amicable when babies come along - should they be kept apart?
thanks Belinda

I would say that once the kittens come along things should be ok but the younger cat may become a little over protective. However this is not guaranteed and in fact often the older cat will help with bringing the kittens up.

<y advice would be that for the first day let the mum and kitten have time on their own to bond etc and let the mum cat get used the her kittens. then introduce the older cat in short bursts for a few days.

Apart from that I cannot see nay problems.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.