Cats/Cat hair pulling and crystals

Can hair pulling be related to crystals in the urine of my female long hair cat? I have been told in the past she has crystals and in the last month or so has been pulling hair to the point of patches on her back.

well anxiety can cause cats to over groom which can cause bald patches etc. So hair pulling may be a sign of anxiety too caused by her discomfort due to the crystals. So yes I would say that there could well be a connection.

Crystals in the urine can be rather painful and so the sooner she can be treated for any urinary problems the better. Only then will you be bale to see if her hair pulling reduces also as she recovers.

I have a page on my website about general urinary problems in cats which you may find of further interest here

I hope she gets well soon

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.