Cats/Cat just had kittens

Hello, please help!

My cat has just had kittens at 4am this morning and coped well, all kittens fine and sucking the milk ok,  however my partner has just watched her take one of the kittens upstairs to the bedroom leaving the other 3 downstairs, he took the bed with the 3 kittens in up to her and she hissed at him, so he left them to it, I have a dog and another cat too, is this because she wants to be out the way of everyone to get on with it? is it normal after giving birth?  thank you

yes this is absolutely normal. Often a cat will move their kittens to what they feel is a safer place.

yes leave them alone for a few days so that they can settle down together. the mother cat needs time to adjust to her new family etc.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.