Cats/Cat labour

Hi, my cat went into labour and gave birth to 2 kittens about 6/7 hrs ago but she is still very swollen and when I have felt her belly there still feels to be at least another kitten still inside! She does not seem to be contacting or in any pain or distress but I'm not sure what to do next? Is this normal? How long Can a cat go between deliveries?

yes there can be several hours if not more between births, so it may be that she will give birth to another one later. however if your cat seems to be in any distress ie pushing with nothing happening, or crying out then i would advise telephoning your local vet for advice. If there is a problem then a vet is the only one who can help.

i hope by the time you receive this reply all is well

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.