Cats/indoor cat got out

Question
My 2 yr old cat got out.  This will be the 4th night.  She is in the garage but won't come to me.  She was born in the garage by a feral cat and I adopted her at about 8 - 12 weeks.  The neighbor took the other 2 to a shelter and they were adopted.

I have seen her a couple of times.  When I call her name she runs.  I tried to get her to come to me calling her name softly and shaking treats but she won't come.  She acts like she doesn't even know me.  She has a wonderful home.  Why doesn't she want to come back inside?  Do cats just go feral instantly?  There are a lot of feral cats in the neighborhood but they aren't being mean to her.  Do you have any ideas it's snowing here now and cold.  I'm just sick.  Thank you for the help.

Answer
Hi
sometimes the call of the wild is very strong for feral cats. Their instincts can be very strong. And they say feral s always stay a little bit feral.

The first 7 weeks of a kittens life is known as the socialising time and during this time if they do not meet lots of people and other animals then they can always be rather feral. this may what has happened here.

If i were you i would not try and get her or go to her, instead leave some food outside your door and call her every day. you could also leave something with her scent outside the door. then spend some time just sitting outside with her if possible, not calling her or approaching her and you may be lucky and once she has had her fling outside she may decide to return to you. but at the end of the day cats are basically wild at heart and only choose to be with us.

I have my fingers crossed that she will return to you.

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth