Cats/mother cats

we have a few stray pregnant females we are looking after, we want to get them spayed after the kittens are born. How long should we wait for this and also can they get pregnant again while they are nursing kittens?

vets normally recommend that a queen is not spayed until after her kittens are weaned which is around the 8 to 12 week period. During this it may be possible for them to get pregnant again although most queens would see off the male while they are still nursing. Even if they do accidentally become pregnant again they can still be spayed during the early stages. With stray cats this is often the case as it is impossible for you to prevent mating.

Please see my pages about cat spayed etc for more information

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.