Cats/mother cats

Question
we have a few stray pregnant females we are looking after, we want to get them spayed after the kittens are born. How long should we wait for this and also can they get pregnant again while they are nursing kittens?

Answer
HI
vets normally recommend that a queen is not spayed until after her kittens are weaned which is around the 8 to 12 week period. During this it may be possible for them to get pregnant again although most queens would see off the male while they are still nursing. Even if they do accidentally become pregnant again they can still be spayed during the early stages. With stray cats this is often the case as it is impossible for you to prevent mating.

Please see my pages about cat spayed etc for more information

/neuter.html

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth