Cats/Lethargic Cat After Surgery

Hi, my cat also is experiencing lethargy after surgery. She had dental surgery 12 days ago. She was in rough shape the first day but then seemed back to normal until 6 days ago when she started vomiting after eating, she became lethargic and has not interacted with us like she used to.  

She is 12 years old and has been in great health her whole life until she needed her tooth pulled.   

I brought her to the vet three times in the last three days and they thought that the antibiotic she was on for 10 days might be upsetting her stomach. They tested her blood, which came back fine. They gave her fluids, an anti-nausea shot and an antibiotic shot. She has not thrown up in almost 48 hours and has been eating small amounts of food however she still is not herself and seems like she does not feel good.

I don't know what to do....

Sometimes surgery can knock some cats out for quite a while. the anaesthetic can stay in the system for quite some time. She may also have an infection which is causing her to feel rough and this too can take some time to cure, often antibiotics need several weeks to work.

If i were you i would keep an eye on her for the next couple of days, give her lots of quiet time to sleep and try to make sure that she drinks plenty of fresh water. If she has not picked up or gets worse in any way then your only option is to go back to the vets.

hopefully it just needs some time before your cat is back to old self. I know it can be very worrying but you are doing everything you can for her.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.