Cats/Premature Kittens

A stray cat had kittens at my moms house 2 weeks ago.  They had very fine and very little fur on their body.  I have been feeding them kitten formula every 4 hours.  My question is they are now losing their fur on the back of their heads and their backs by their tail.  Is this normal or is my 8 month old male cat cleaning them so good that he is licking off their hair.

yes it could be that your cat is licking them too much and this taking their fur off. if this is the case then it could be that your male cat is a little anxious and over compensating. You will have to monitor your cats behavior around the kittens.

However there a re other possible causes such as mites and skin allergies which could cause something similar. if you think this could be the case then you will need to have a vet take a look at them for treatment.

best wishes Kate

P.S keep up the good work, looking after young kittens can be very difficult and time consuming, best of luck.

i have some pages on my site about kitten care which you may find of further information

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.