my cat is pregnant but i am worried about the reaction to the kittens from her usually very affectionate brother. is he likely to harm them? he is not the father. thankyou

No there should be no danger from your cats brother. there are lots of myths about how male cats attack kittens etc. this is not true and came from a behavior which occurs very rarely. Which is that female cats after giving birth sometimes give off a similar scent to a cat in heat which can make male cats want to mate with them. however it is a false heat and the female cat will have nothing to do with the male and so the male out of frustration may try to mate with the kittens and in trying can sometimes accidentally strangle the kittens.

this is a a very rare occurrence.

My advice would be to allow the female cat and the kittens to be left alone for the first few days and then for the male to be introduced under supervision for a few days. After that all should be fine.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.