Cats/my cats mouth!

Hi! I have a 15 year old female cat, Fabian. She appears to have a problem with her mouth. She is still eating and drinking as normal and will let me touch and open her mouth. She has a horrible smell coming from her mouth. When looking in her mouth I can not see anything obvious. She is an indoor cat, has been for 8 years. She gets into such a stressed out state when going to the vets, as do I!!! Any sugesstions?

unfortunately i think a trip to the vets is your only option and even though she does not like the vets i think it will be her best option.

It sounds to me like she may have either some bad teeth or an infection in her mouth possibly caused by bad teeth. She will be in some discomfort with this and really does need to see a vet sooner rather than later.

All of my cats have had to have some dental work during there lives and at 15 it is likely that she does have some problems.

I hope the problem can be sorted out soon for her

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.