Cats/my kittens eating routine

I've recently noticed that my kitten can fill a litter box very quickly. Am I over feeding him? I leave his dry Kitten Chow out for him all day along with his water...should I feed him differently? Should i cut back on his feedings? Please help,, I find myself cleaning out his litter box every 2 days..(maybe that's normal)
Thank you.

well it depends on the age of your kitten really. during the first three to four months of their lives they do seem to go an awful lot. I adopted two four month kittens last year and for the first three months we had them the litter tray needed to be cleaned twice a day.

However as they get bigger their digestive systems settle down and will become more regular to perhaps only one bowel movement a day. Also if you start to let them outside they often will choose to go outside rather than in.

As for feeding. As long as you are feeding kitten food and the recommended daily allowance on the packaging then all should be fine. I measure out my cats dry food every day and top up their bowls throughout the day. when its all gone its all gone for that day.

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.