Cats/Excessive Drinking

We have noticed that our mixed breed 12yr old cat has started drinking excessively, we give him a special cat formula milk and he is drinking that more than usual, but he also tried at one time to get into the toilet bowl to access water, we now but a water bowl out for him which he goes to and drinks often also.

Otherwise he seems fine and is eating his normal food, although my wife does say he appears to have lost some weight?

the symptoms your cat is showing could be caused by a couple of things ie heart failure, diabetes or a thyroid condition.  you need to take your cat to see a vet as soon as possible for some tests to determine the exact cause.

My cat had the same symptoms and it turned out to be problems with her thyroid. luckily we caught it early and treatment was successful. This page on my site gives more details are of this condition here

please do not leave it too long before you visit the vets, if a cat loses too much weight they can start to loss muscle too and this can lead to broken bones etc.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.