Cats/Food aggression!?

I have never seen food aggression in cats..

I took in an orphaned 7 week old kitten. The litter was attacked and killed by a pitbull. (or fed to.....)

This is the only surviving kitten of the litter.
He still isn't quite weaned but is eating soft food and food soaked in KMR.

However, he refuses to eat with my other cats, and when I give my cats treats, he will snatch the food from the others and growl and hiss savagely and will scratch, swat at and chase the others. It's a funny sight because he's so tiny, but at the same time, I don't want him to grow up and be food aggressive.

What do I do? will he grow out of this?

this is a common issue with cats who have had a rough start in life and feel anxious about there current new situation. Basically they are concerned that they will have to compete for food and so is being all big and aggressive about it.

I would say that they should grow out of it over time and the anxiety settles down. the  other cats will also put him in his place this is normal and will help them all to settle down.

Continue to feed them together but make sure that the other cats or the kitten tries to bully each other or steal food. This will take a little monitoring by you but it should only be for a short time until the kitten calms down.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.