Cats/Gave 3 wk kitten back to momma...

Hi there!
we found a kitten in our yard and she seems to be 3 weeks...ears are up, walking is shaky, very perky and sweet. we feel in 2 boys and i whom i've never allowed a pet before until now...but this morning, i saw the momma cat and gave her the kitten. she hissed at her at first, then grabbed her and ran away under the porch i think..i looked under but cannot see them or hear them... will she reject her? will she be okay? can we get her back? we miss her now and are soooo sad ):

Thanks so much for any advice you can give!!
Julie D.

well it all depends if the mother cat decides that she will look after her as one of her own or not. At three weeks a kitten is not yet weaned and will rely heavily on her mothers milk.

All you can do is to try and keep an eye out for them and see if the kitten is thriving or not. If not then you will have to try and rescue it and feed it yourselves, see here for more advice on that

Hopefully the mother cat will take care of the kitten as this is the kittens best option. Cats are normally very good mothers as long as the kittens are healthy.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.