Cats/Kittens Feeding

Question
My cat is one year old and just had her first litter.  She didn't eat any of the placentas. I had to cut the cut the cords and wipe the babies off.  She's purring and snuggling with them but I know she's inexperienced. This cat loves dog food.  I'm afraid she will not know to feed them.  They are only an hour old so backed off to get online.  None of them seemed interested in feeding.  How often do they need fed? What is a good substitute? How can I get them to feed and when will I know if the mom is capable? I don't want them to starve to death.  If someone could help me through this I would be very appreciative.

Answer
Hi
the kittens should start to look for food fairly soon and their instinct will kick in and they will search for the nipples. if they don't you can try to place them on or near them yourself.

the mum cat doesn't have to do anything apart from allow the kittens to suckle.

If you do have problems with them feeding then contact your vet for some special feeding bottles and kitten supplement. it is very important for them to get the right food at this stage.

please see this page on my web site for more details.

/kitten-food.html

hopefully by now they are all feeding well

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth