Cats/early risers!

Hi, We were adopted by Tilly, a stray/feral, and now have three kittens to thank her for.  They are 7 months old and wonderful, as is Mum.  However, one of the kittens has started to wake us at around 6.30 a.m. every morning.  The other two sit outside our bedroom door on the carpet, as if they have "sent" Tigger in to do the waking!  How can we discourage him?  He is so loving, purring fit to bust and kissing my face, but I don't want to get up at that time now I am retired and in my seventies!  Help,  Best regards Jane.

This is a common problem and is completely normal cat behavior. cats are more active at night time and also if they do sleep through the night wake very early. i know this as I have two 1 year old cats who wake me up if I let them between 4 and 5 am every day.

To be honest with you there is no way to stop them from doing this, you simply have to make the decision to either keep them in a separate room over night or keep your bedroom door closed.

we leave it open some days as my partner doesn't mind getting uop at that early hour to let them out, but when we want to sleep through we close it. the cats have learned that if our door is closed that they have to wait.

Sorry but that kittens for you.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.