Cats/Mother taking her kittens away

Question
My cat keeps trying to entice her 7 week old kittens into the woods behind our house. Why is she doing this and what can we do to stop her? I'm worried if she succeeds we'll never be able to get them back.

Answer
Hi
It is not unusual for a mother cat to move her kittens several times during the first few weeks and months of their lives. it is thought that it is down to the fact that she does not feel safe where they are and is trying to move them to somewhere safer. unfortunately this is not always the case and they move them to places which turn out to be even worse.

There is not much you can do apart from to make sure that the cats environment is as quiet, safe and comfortable for them all. Hopefully this will make the mother cat feel less inclined to want to move them. Also at this age it is advisable to keep them inside until they have had their vaccinations etc /cat-vaccinations.html

best wishes Kate
http;//www.our-happy-cat.com

Cats

Kate Tilmouth