Cats/deworming kitten

We have about a 3 1/2 week old kitten, we haven't noticed any pooping as of yet but have only had it for 24 hours. Would this be considered normal and when and how much do we use for deworming the kitten since it was a stray?

Thanks, Shannon.

Well normally kittens tend to poop a lot at first so 24 hours is a bit long but then he is ina  new place and he may be feeling a little sacred to let his guard down enough to go. Make sure he gets plenty of water or kitten milk as this will help him to go, you may also have to stimulate his tummy for him as he is so young and this is something the mother cat would do to help him go. i have a web page with some more information about this here

As for the worming, well i think he may be too young for that just yet. normally this is done when they get their first vaccinations around 9 to 12 weeks

Your vet will be able to advise on the quantity to give thereafter

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.