Cats/26 day old kitten not eating as much

I have an orphaned 26 day old kitten that I've been bottle-feeding since she was 1 day old.  She's been doing well; she's gaining weight, looks healthy, and is playful and loving.

She's been eating about 5-6 tablespoons of KMR daily.  Today, however, her feeding has been "off."  I've fed her 4 times so far today, and at 3 of the feedings, she only ate 1/2 tablespoon, and she didn't really suckle the bottle.  At her 4th feeding, she ate 1 3/4 TB of formula.  This just isn't normal for her.  She's still acting fine, but I'm worried something is wrong.

Any idea of why she's not eating as much?  Thank you,

well it is difficult to say. Very young kittens like this can be very fragile sometimes and pick up little tummy bugs etc.

If I were you i would keep an eye on her another day or so and if she gets no better or eats even less your best option is to make sure she hasn't picked anything up or have a digestive issue by taking her to the vets.

Its always a good idea anyway to have a vet take a look at them early on just to make sure all is ok, sometimes things can be wrong which are not immediately obvious and a little checkup will be able to not only provide care for the kitten but also put your own mind at rest.

i have some pages on my web site about kitten care which you may find of further interest. here is the first page

I hope all is well

best wishes Kate

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your response.  I called my vet and he didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about.  BUT, I'm a worrier by nature, so I thought and thought until I wondered if her new bottle was the cause.  I cut a bigger hole in the tip so the milk flowed more freely, and I'm very happy to report that today, she has eaten 4 tablespoons so far, and it's not even 1 pm Central time.  So I think that before, she just wasn't able to suckle enough milk from the bottle.

I do have another question: She's now 4 weeks old, and she's still not going to the bathroom by herself.  There are no "accidents" in her towels, nor is there anything in her little pan of litter.  So I'm still having to stimulate her to get her to use the bathroom.  I'm not sure if she's constipated - she pooped yesterday at 5 am, and that was the last time.  Shouldn't she be using the bathroom by herself by now?

I have a vet appointment on Saturday morning, the earliest my vet had available, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thank you,

well yes I would have thought that she should start to go by herself now but if she has not been eating much then this may have stopped her wanting to go or indeed may have caused some constipation

The vet will be able to determine if there is a problem or not. Not going for a few days is nothing to really worry about.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.