Cats/Moving Kitties

My cat had 5 kittens inside of our old couch in the basement. The couch has to go and I would like the cat family to reside in the garage. They were born on july 4th. How soon can I move them and should I keep them in the basement?

usually it should be fine to move them after a week or so, this will have given them time to bond with their mother and visa versa.

Often the mother cat moves them anyway from the original spot, so as long as you place them nearby in something warm and secure she should be fine with this.

I have a few pages on my site about kitten care which you may find of further interest.

best wishes Kate  

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.