Cats/Old cat peeing in the house

Question
My 15 yr old female has taken to peeing on the furniture in the house.  I've decided to feed her in these areas in an effort to get to her stop - I've always understood cats don't like to eat near their bathroom.  Do you have any other ideas what to do to get her back into the litter box?

She does and has for the last 14.5 yrs shared the litter box with her 17 yr old male housemate, and the litter box is cleaned regularly.  

Any other ideas?  I don't like my living room smelling like a cat box.  She is on thin ice no matter how much I love her and how long I've had with her.

Answer
Hi
this sort of behavior can occur for several reasons and is a very common problem. For that reason i have written a page to explain why this may happen and also how to try and help your cat by giving them some re training using a confinement method which helps them to calm down again and also to become reacquainted with the litter box again.

here are the pages

/cat-urine.html

/cat-litter-box.html

However if your cat is getting on in years it may also be worth having her check over by a vet in case this has been caused because either she has a urinary problem or some other illness which is making her feel unwell and so she is trying to comfort herself with this behavior.

i hope she is back to her usual self again soon

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth