Cats/IBD vs.lymphoma

Vet Student wrote at 2012-05-17 05:39:41
As a veterinary student and after talking with some veterinarians down in the hospital, I just wanted to add a few things that might be helpful. My cat's going through a similar process (although he's not diabetic). He's been on Metronidizole (Flagyl) for a long time without successfully treating his acute diarrhea. I've tried several other things in the process (changing to a bland diet, probiotics, increase fiber) without success. I've ruled out parasites (for the most part) with Fenbendazole. So now we're strongly considering either Pancreatic Insufficiency, Inflammatory Bowel Disease or Feline Lymphoma. To rule out pancreatic insufficiency, we're running a fPLI, cobalamine and folate blood levels. For the others, he's going in for an ultrasound (just like your kitty). Unfortunately, ultrasound can't definitively diagnose either disease and fine needle aspirate (or more reliably a biopsy) would be necessary to confirm.

To manage Inflammatory Bowel Disease, usually a novel protein diet is recommended with prednisone but the problem with just jumping to medical treatment without a diagnosis is if it's actually Lymphoma. With Lymphoma, for some reason, if your cat has ever had prednisone, it messes up chemotherapy (which is a treatment for Lymphoma should you choose to go so far)and decreases the prognosis of lymphoma.

lastag wrote at 2014-07-29 21:21:44
It is very difficult and expensive to diagnose IBD vs lymphoma. I have a cat and have found a company that has an inexpensive simple blood test to determine the difference between IBD and lymphoma. The company is called VDI Lab and the test is called Feline Cancer Panel. It even helps monitor to see if the drugs being used are working or if something else is needed. Go to for more info

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.