Cats/sciatic nerve damage

Question
My cat recently was attacked and as a result had to have a minor operation to sew up a puncture wound that she recieved on her hind left leg. 10 days had passed and i took her back to my vet to have the stitches taken out and queried as to why she was still limping on that leg, i was told that there had been alot of muscle loss in the last 10-14 days and due to that it has been put down to sciatic nerve damage. My cat uses the leg however doesnt put too much weight on it, she uses it more than she did however when she runs her hock is pretty much flat to the ground. will this improve over time and what can i do to help her. Shes only 1 and is very active so i'm upset to think that theres not much i can do.

Answer
Hi
sorry to hear of your cats injuries.

I am not a vet and so cannot give you any medical advice and I would have hoped that your vet would have given you a long term prognosis for your cat.

in my opinion i would have thought that the nerve over time may heal sufficiently to go back to near normal, also as she exercises more and eats more and gets some of her muscle condition back she will be able to walk better.

cats are very adaptable to injury and so even if she does not get full use of her leg again she will still be able to lead a full and happy life.

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth