Cats/cat peeing outside of litter box

i adopted a 3rd cat, male.  he is approx. 11 months old and was in a cage all his life. half siamese, he is smart. i have to female cats. he was using his own litter box without issues. now after 3 weeks, i believe that he is peeing outside of the litter box on a mat (1/2 inch deep with grate top)usually once a day, sometimes twice.  dont think it is the girl cat.  yes he is fixed and healthy. possibly a neat freak cat and dont like sharing boxes.  (caught the girls in his box). i have tried everything, waiting on feliway now.  used boundary, no stain, tension ease, homeopathic.  changed to a bigger litter box, changed unscented litter and weaning onto corn cob litter. what is next? he smells bady too.  think its from previous anti-biotics he had. help.

I am wondering if he has a urinary infection. this would cause inappropriate urination and a strong smell too. See this page for more on this

Other than that if could purely be a territorial issue, even nuetered cats will still do this if they feel worried about other cats in their territory. to try and help this you need separate litter trays in different areas and also a period of litter training to help calm the cat down.

Poor cat being in a cage for so long, especially for such an intelligent breed.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.