Cats/unhappy cat

Question
we have recently got a kitten after losing one of our cats so the remaining cat would have company (he has always had company) the cat after 1 week continues to hiss at the kitten, we stay away from it and starts to cry and hiss if the kitten comes anywhere near him. we have continued to keep the kitten in one room and leave the door open slightly to encourage interaction. how long will he hiss and cry? maybe he wont take to him? help it is soo upsetting because we thought we where doing the right thing by getting him a buddy.

Answer
Hi
Unfortunately it is not always the right thing to do as as just like people you like some of them and others you don't.

There is a special method of introducing cats to each other which can help but it may always be that they don't become best friends.

the method is described on my page here. It is a little time consuming but allows the cats time to get to know each other in a safe controlled environment.

/introducing-cats.html

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth