Cats/Bad Tempered Cat

I'm very worried about the behavior of my 1 year old male cat, I've had him and his sister from when they were about 8 weeks as rescue cats.  He has always been a loving cuddly purry cat but over the last few months he doesn't like being picked up or petted and often growls or hisses.  Occasionally he will have a cuddle when im on the laptop lying on my arm but if i move he growls and runs off.  He also hisses at his sister and they no longer interact, they used to play happily all the time.

Any ideas? I hate to think he is miserable.

You did not mention if both cats have been neutered / spayed or not. If not then this would be a source of tension for him and can often increase the chances of aggressive behavior. Having cats neutered and spayed generally makes them happier more contented cats.

cats rarely do thinks for no particular reason and so it is unlikely that he is just miserable and may actually be in some discomfort or pain. often they cover these things up but generally bad temper and not wanting to be picked up etc can be a sign of something being wrong. It may be an idea to have a vet take a look at him just to be sure.

If your cats are inside cats only then he may be bored and unhappy due to this. Always make sure that their home environment is as stimulating as possible. see this page for more on this

best wishes Kate  

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.