Cats/older established cat fighting with new younger cat

We have three cats (2 males and 1 female) who have been in the household for years. Our son moved home and brought his young female into the House (all are fixed).  She was scared and has stayed in the basement on top of the shelves. He would take her to his room at night and then she goes back downstairs. The older female has been "hunting" her, with some fights. Today when Callie went to get on the shelves, Natasha was up there and waiting for her-huge fight. What can we do to help this situation out? Thanks.

well it is never easy having lost of cats living in such close proximity and this sort of behavior is a natural reaction to a new cat moving in on another's territory.

the best way to introduce cats to each other using the safe method but it does take some time and effort on our part as it needs time to give both cats confidence in each other without the fear of attack.

the method is described here

Other than that there is not much you can do, often these things are sorted out between the cats, with one cat becoming the dominant one.

I hope things settle down soon

best wishes Kate  

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.