Cats/orphan kittens

my cat died 2 days after giving birth to 3 kittens.. i am bottle feeding them and i stimulate them after each feeding. i use a damp warm cloth and dry them well but there bottoms look wet. its not wet to the touch they seem greasy.. i don't know if i should bath them or what. they are healthy. they eat good and they are 7 days old today./ any advice would be appreciated..

i am so sorry to hear of your loss that really is hard and now you have kittens to bring up which in itself is not an easy thing to do.

It may just be natural oils coming from the anal area, a mother cat would normally be doing all the grooming etc, so all i would suggest is that you keep them clean with warm water only no soap and let mother nature do the rest, i'm sure these issues will settle down.

i do have lots of pages about looking after orphaned kittens etc which you may find of use although it sounds like you are already doing a great job. here is the first page anyway

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.