Cats/Cat gagging

My 6 year cat often gags, sometimes after drinking water.  He doesn't vomit and no has no hairballs coming out.  I gave him hairball treats & I make sure he eats food that controls hairballs.  Should I take him to the vet?  How can I help him at home? please any suggestions,  thanks, Berthita

There are all sorts of causes for cat vomiting

It could be hairballs but if it has been going on for some time then i think an examination is needed to determine whether the cat has a problem in his mouth or gullet. Or whether t could be stomach related.

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.