Cats/Odd cat behavior

About 1 year ago, my family got a new kitten from a house down the road. We got her when she was roughly 4-6 weeks old, and we got all the appropriate shots/procedures.

What the odd behavior is every night as I go to bed, my cat will jump up on my chest and kneed a lot. She also sticks her nose down like she's sniffing something, but she's not. This is also the only time I hear her purr. She will often jump up and lay on my mom's chest and do similar things in the evening.

What is she doing exactly? The other two cats I've had didn't do anything this odd.

This is normal behavior for some cats.

The kneading is considered to be associated with when they would knead their mothers tummy for milk when they were kittens. It is a comforting action that cats like to do on their owners, you should take it as a compliment :)

As for the sniffing, again this is associated with territory and instinct. Some cats do it more than others and it is simply there way of logging smell as to what is good and what is bad. ie your family scent is good and again comforting for the cat, this is probably why she starts to purr when she does it.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.