Cats/cat bullying

Question
9 months ago we took on an 8 year old spayed cat as her owners didnt want her. we already had 2 cats one female one male both neutered.The new cat has never lived with cats before and whilst she likes people she can take or leave other cats. Our original cats seemed to mostly ignore her but over the past couple of months our male cat has really started to bully her.He is a rather spoilt cat who in particular follows me all around and he has become even more possesive than normal.It is getting quite bad now and we have tried to find her a nice home but cant as nobody wants a cat.She really hates him!

Answer
Hi
Sadly this behavior is quite normal and not something we can change easily if at all.

You could try taking them through the introduction period over perhaps a week or so to see if they can build up some sort of tolerance to each other. the method is described here, it does take time and patience on your behalf but is one of the best ways to try and help cats get along

/introducing-cats.html

Apart from that there is little you can do. often cats will settle their own battles and this bullying is to establish the hierarchy of the cats in the home. It may settle down over time but there are no guarantees i'm afraid.

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth