Cats/introducing puppies to cats

Question
Hi Kate, We have 2 12 year old tiger cats (female and male) that used to live with a dog amiably for all of 10 years, then we had to send our beloved "Butchy" (cross german shepard/chow mix) to dog heaven 2 years ago. We are finally going to get back into dog ownership with 2 purebred choc labs, in April. My question is, we know there will be an adjustment period, where the cats are going to get territorial and not be overly thrilled about the new additions, but is there any advice you can give to help the adjustment along. thank you...Nick

Answer
Hi
I think the best thing I can do is to ask you to read my page about cat introduction. the process is the same for dogs and cats as well. basically they need to get to know each other in a safe and calm environment over a period of time so that any fear etc is dispelled early on.

However as you are probably aware there are no guarantees that this will stop all or any upsets between them all but it does help in many cases.

here is my web page about this issue.

/introducing-cats.html

best wishes KAte

Cats

Kate Tilmouth