Cats/cat behavior

One week ago we got a male, nutered, fourteen month old Bengal cat. He was shy and skittish around people. It appears to not have been socialized with people. He does use the litter box and eats his food and drinks watter. He slinks and goes downstairs if you move towards him. He will play with a toy for awhile if you have it on a string and he doesnt get to close. We have a couple of times been able to just scratch him behind the ear but not for very long. We dont know what to do or expect. Will he get any better socially so we can pet him and maybe hear him purr or is this the way he is going to be? What can we possible do to get his trust?

well this may not be unusual for some cats it all depends on the life they have had so far. It may take him months and sometimes years to fully relax in the new home.

All i can suggest for now is to take a look at these pages on my website for some more information to help you settle your cat down.

You may also want to consider one of those cat calming stray for awhile until  he has relaxed more in the home. /scared-cat.html

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.