Cats/Introducing a New Cat

Question
QUESTION: Hello, we have had the same cat for many years. He's 7 or 8 years old, and has spent virtually his whole life in out house, never having to encounter other animals. He's kind of skiddish, and you have to get to know him before he gets comfortable.
However, we recently took in a new cat, we neutered him, and he is 3 or 4 years old, and very friendly to everyone immediately. He is bigger and stronger than our first cat, and has his claws, which the first does not.
The problem is now that the first cat, in about a month, has become pinned to one spot virtually all day. He's chosen one spot where he feels safe, and is so terrified that he rarely comes out, even to eat, and he's begun to lose weight.
The younger cat is playful, and when Simcha (The first cat) comes out, he's running because he's afraid, and the new cat chases him, and attacks him, and pins him easily. I think he's mostly playing, but as I said, Simcha is too afraid to ever leave, and as a result the new cat has taken over the home, and all of Simcha's old favourite spots.
How can we get him to come out and not be afraid, and also to get the new cat to stop attacking him.

ANSWER: Hi
It is always a good idea to spend a period if time introducing new cats to each other using the safe confinement method. it allows the cats to get to know each other without the fear of attack.

Please see my web page about how to carry out this procedure. It may have to be done several times before your cat settles down but it has produced good results with others I have advised.

Here is the page

http://www.our-happy-cat.com/introducing-cats.html

best wishes Kate

QUESTION: I guess I worded my question title improperly. The cats have been introduced, and have lived together for quite a while, but I actually want to know how to change the dynamic between them, so as one can become less afraid of the other, we'd like him to regain some power.
Thank you!
~April.

Answer
Hi
I'm not sure how long your cats have lived together but if it is less than 6 months then the introduction system is still good to try and it allows confidence to be built up between the cats in a safe environment.

Other than that there is not a lot we can do to persuade our cats to stick up for themselves. Normally the cat dynamics are decided between themselves ie one cat will decide to be the more subservient one and keep out of the way or the more dominant cat. Thats just the way it is. Cats don't naturally like to live too closely with unknown cats  and so these sorts of situations can occur regularly, Normally after time the two cats will sort out there own place in the home whether we like it or not i'm afraid.

best wishes kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth