Cats/How to separate kittens from they Mom

Hi I have a 10 weeks old kittens and I will like to know how to separate them from their mom so they (kittens and mom) don't suffer.

I was also wondering if the mom can get depress for this.

Thank you!

Kittens should nor be taken away from their mum until they are at least 3 months old and fully weaned.

in nature after this time the mother cat would start to encourage her kittens to find their own homes and move away as it is not in the interests of the cat to have a large amount of cats in one territory. So she should be fine if you rehome the kittens one at a time of a period of a few weeks after they are weaned.

best wishes kate  

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.