Cats/Moving and leaving cats with Neighbour

We are moving abroad and our kind neighbor has agreed to take our 2 beautiful cats when we leave. We have 4 weeks to go and one of the cats have already moved into her house however, we have one other cat that is really shy.

How do we go about introducing our cat to the neighbors house? Do we hand her over now? or do we just leave her there when we go? Is it better to take her over there a few times a week to get used to the environment?

Any help you can offer would be beneficial!

yes you can try to introduce her to your neighbors now but while you are there it is likely that she will keep returning.

when you do leave your neighbor will have to keep her in their house for several weeks to try and get her used to her new home. They will also have to let the new owners of your home that your cat may keep trying to return and that they should not let them in or feed them so that they do get used to their new home etc.

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.