Cats/Is my cat a European Shorthair or American Shorthair?

Question
I don't have any pictures of my cat, but he looks a lot like the cat on this page -
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:European_shorthair_portrait_Quincy.jpg

I've done some research, and I don't know if my cat is American Shorthair, European Shorthair or Domestic Shorthair. My cat looks most like the European Shorthair, but he's not from Europe. He's from Oregon.

Here's some physical characteristics and personality traits of my cat.

Could you please tell me what breed he is? Thank you.

Physical characteristics -
- brown tabby
- young-looking (He's 7 years old, but he looks just like a big kitten. He has an adult body but a kitten head. It's precious!)
- long, muscular chest
- short, thick-boned legs
- little bit of toe tuft
- little, round paws (look like little snowboots)
- black fur that goes all the way down his back
- small, round, green eyes
- short, thick neck
- dense, short, soft, glossy fur
- small head
- little bit of brown fur above his nose
- average-size (maybe 13 or 14 lbs)
- nose is short and turns upright when you look at him from the side
- fur on his cheeks and stomach is a beautiful, caramel color
- looks just like a shorthaired version of the brown tabby maine coons I see on TV
- he's the softest, glossiest cat I've ever seen

Personality traits -
- quiet most of the time (but when he meows, he's very loud. He definitely makes his presence known)
- independent most of the time, and you don't know he's there
- loves to catch moths and eat them (good hunter)
- not scared of my mother and me, but he's scared of everyone else and is very scared of noises like loud cars and vacuum cleaners. He acts very feral around strangers
- super smart and has a very smart facial expression

I love my cats so much, and I want them to live forever!

SIncerely,
Ashley

Answer
Ashley,

To really answer your question, a picture would be very, very helpful.  90% of all pet cats are from the feral population and the picture of the European Shorthair on the link could easily be from the feral population.

The American Shorthair has become a bit more extreme than it used to be but is not as robust as the British Shorthair.  Look at:

My source has European Shorthair with the following description:

"First recognized in Sweden, similar to, but less cobby than British Shorthair. 58 color varieties are approved, classic tabby being favourite. Derived from cats brought to Europe by Roman settlers, possibly with admixture of genes from native European Wildcat (F silvestris) with which it can interbreed. Coat type reflects the harsher northern European climate. Has given rise to other breeds e.g. Chartreux, Norwegian Forest Cat."

See:  http://www.messybeast.com/breeds.htm

For pictures of the Cat Fanciers' Association, inc,  American Shorthair, see:

http://www.cfa.org/Client/breedAmericanShorthair.aspx

For pictures the Cat Fanciers' Association, inc., British Shorthair, see:

http://www.cfa.org/Client/breedBritishShorthair.aspx

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards... Norm.  

Cats

Norman Auspitz