Cats/Cat has suddenly started to bite me

We have a 3 or 4 year old siamese and in the past few months, when I have attempted to pet her, she bares her teeth and tonight she bit me with the two long teeth to the point where
she drew blood.  
I find this strange as I have never been bitten by a cat before,
she accidentally scratched me a week or so ago, and I know that part of that was my own fault.  But the marks on my arm are both from her left and right long teeth.
Should I stop trying to hold her and just use toys, from what I have already read, it seems that cats really don't like their
people to play with them physically.  She sleeps with me every night but I just would like to know if I should stop trying to pet her as I have done in the past when we had dogs.

Thank YOU

Is she spayed?

Assuming she is spayed, if this is a sudden change in behavior, there might be a medical issue.  I am also assuming you have had this cat for quite a while, and she used to be more tolerant of being held and petted. Again, a sudden change in behavior may be due to a medical issue whereas your holding her or petting her may be causing her discomfort. If this is the case, a visit to the vet is warranted. If you see the vet also have the vet check the thyroid levels as this can also cause changes in behavior.

It is difficult from your question to ascertain how long you have had this cat.

Can you clarify the situation, please?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.