Cats/male siamese behaviour

Question
Hi Norman, thanks for having this site where we can ask questions.

My problem is my 18 month old male seal point siamese- Oskar. He is a very healthy, slightly spoilt little man. His personality is incredibly loving toward myself but he seems to just tolerate my 9 year old daughter.

I bought him from a respected breeder in my area as a 11 week old kitten. It seems that I am the person who he attached himself to. he is generally very friendly toward visitors in the house and gets on with a few dogs that come visit and share a 'play date'with. BUT he bites!he will bite me very gently when playing, bite my leg gently ( think that this is attention seeking behaviour)when I do not pay so much attention to him but he will bite my daughter for no reason at all. My daughter has never hit him or abused him in any way, shape or form. When he does this, I usually tell him firmly 'no biting'and have started ignoring him afterwards- he hates that but I also think that he understands why cause after a while, he comes to me and is sickeningky affectionate. For example, he will push his face into my hand, attempt to rub his face/nose over my face and nose and generally act like he is apoligising! He definately knows what the words 'no biting'means yet he continues,,  what can I do? he hasnt drawn blood but has a nasty expression on his face when he bites my daughter.

Thanks,
Bronny

Answer
Bronny,

Cats have very, very tough skin and so, from the very beginning of kittenhood (newborns), kittens display biting/scratching behaviors as signs of affection. Kittens/cats have to learn that this is unacceptable to us soft skinned humans. Also, cats respond better to positive reinforcement rather than discipline, so a different approach is when then cat begins biting the daughter, she should just walk away. If your Siamese does not engage in biting behavior with your daughter, a tasty treat as a reward will be a good thing.  The combination of "no biting" and walking away for undesired behavior and reward for appropriate behavior should be very helpful.

Another suggestion for your daughter is not to pick up or pet your Siamese unless it asks to be picked up or petted.  Let the cat come to you.  Cats do better when they think things are their idea, not yours. So, the cat should be ignored unless he asls for affection.

You and your daughter should practice the reward for good behavior consistently, so the cat does not get confused.  After all, your Siamese is showing affection and not aggression by the "love" bites.

Finally, is he neutered?  If not, neutering may soften his behaviors.

Please let me know what happens.

Best regards... Norm.  

Cats

Norman Auspitz