Cats/behavior issues/ training

Question
Hi, I have a 3 1/2 month old male kitten named Match.  And I have having a lot of problems in training him; pretty much everywhere I look he is getting into trouble (climbing on stuff he is not supposed to, chewing on stuff he is not supposed to, etc.).  I have tried a lot of methods that have been told to me (never hitting him) and I am running out of options.  I think it could be the other cats that he is with or maybe there are just too many people telling him what to do and he is confused (I live with another family that has 5 cats)...I don't know; all I do know is that I need help!

Answer
Gayle,

Training a cat is a bit tricky under the best circumstances. However, when there are other cats around it makes it nearly impossible unless they have been trained to the same behaviors.

Training with cats works best if you use positive reinforcement techniques, i.e. reward for desired behaviors.  Also, cats learn better and are more cooperative if they think it is their idea to do this.

Some people have had remarkable success with a technique called "clicker training" which embodies these ideas (See http://www.clickertraining.com).

Besides, what is the kitten chewing, where is he going and what is he getting into that getting up on things is a problem?

We found that "cat proofing" an area often works best. You also need to understand that cats like to operate in all 3 dimensions, so getting up on things is a very natural instinct for cats.

Another place which may have some suggestions is http://jacksongalaxy.com/category/cat-behavior-and-care/behavioral-issues/

Let me know what you find out, please.

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz