Cats/cat behavior

Previously we had a kitten, approx 2 yrs old. She was a tortie and when our Calico named Carrie, came to us, the kitten would litterally chase Carrie under the bed. Then after a few days or so, Carrie got tired of it and hissed. From that moment on they were friends.

Now our calico is about 3-1/2 yrs old and a tabby cat we call Jenny.

Well, Carrie has been with us for about a yr now. We just adopted Jenny about a 1-1/2 weeks ago.

Carrie doesn't like Jenny's presence.(Mostly they stay in different rooms) They can lie within inches of each other on the bed. Then Carrie will get up, walk over to Jenny, sniff her, and hiss. Jenny  mostly doens't care one way or another if Carrie likes her or not. Tonight Jenny looked  nervous and worried. So I'm wondering what to do. So far they have NEVER scratched, clawed or slapped each other. Its just Carrie hissing and sometimes a low growl. She doesn't get up and arch her back, she'll just put her ears back and give a dirty look. Although, Carrie does chase Jenny at night when we are all sleeping and they jump on my daughters bed and wake her up.

When Carrie hisses and today started growls, we rub her and pet her and make sure she knows we still love her..

Do I just let Carrie continue to growl and hiss.. and wait it out?
About how long will it take?

I believe cats should be left to their own devices to work things out.  Cats a very involved "getting to know you ritual", and, we mere humans, do not understand the rules. I have found it best to let them work it out and not interfere in any way as they figure out how to relate to each other.

Cats will almost never draw blood in their "arguments". In fact, I believe in many cases it is rough "play".

Depending on their ages, it can all be settled quickly or take some time. Older cats tend to take longer, whereas kittens can get "over it" relatively quickly.  I would ignore the posturing, hissing, etc. and not worry about it at all.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.