Cats/Cats with Diarrhea

Have 5 female spayed strictly indoor cats and problems with vomiting and diarrhea.  Changed dry food to Hills Diet from vet.  Temporarily seemed to help but now they are all back to problems.  Have been giving them boiled chicken in addition to the dry food.  They will eat the chicken but do not seem to be crazy about it.  Two of them are back to bloody diarrhea stage and I am at wits end.  What diet can I put them on that can alleviate these issues?  Did take one to vet and was checked for parasites with negative results, also no fever.  I am seriously considering putting them all on a raw food diet, making my own food at home with chicken, turkey and rabbit meat.  I am not able to take them to the vet, am having to ignore my own health issues to care for them as it is.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There are two things that I would suggest in this situation... First I would suggest deworming your kitties just in case they have parasites that have somehow managed to take up residence and weren't seen on the slides. Next, if you want to make them a homemade diet that's absolutely fine, but be sure you do it properly. Check out, this site was created by a veterinarian to help pet parents understand the unique needs of their feline companions... Dr. Lisa Pierson details how to make raw food at home that is properly suited to the needs of your kitties. In order to help clear up the diarrea you might also want to consider sprinkling probiotic powder over their food to help re-populate their gut with good bacteria and restore the balance. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.