Cats/Dental Surgery

Hello Ali! My 8 yr old domestic short hair cat recently had bleeding coming from his mouth. I made an emergency appt and I took him to a new vet. She said that his canine tooth should be extracted and maybe other teeth during the procedure. I am worried about my cat going under anesthesia because of what happened as a kitten. He came home the next day after being neutered, but unlike his litter mates, he was so groggy and laid so still that we even thought he was dead until we petted him. Now that he is 8 yrs old and obese, I worry even more. I'm torn between the risks and benefits of having this procedure done. Also, I had to take him to a different vet for emergency purposes since his vet was closed for a while due to a severe storm. So, I'm also nervous since I'm not familiar with the staff that treated in for his bleeding and they want to do the surgery.

Thank you,

It sounds like your baby's teeth are in rough shape! His teeth are most likely causing him substantial pain and they have the potential to send infection throughout his little body which could do serious damage to his major organs... I would suggest that you sit down with your own vet, who you are comfortable with and have a chat about your concerns... They may be able to use a different drug combination for anesthesia which might not leave him quite so groggy. There's absolutely nothing wrong with telling the vet you brought him to when your vet was closed that you would prefer for your family vet to do the surgery and are in the midst of making those arrangements. This is a surgery that really should be done to alleviate pain and ensure his health long term, in my opinion chatting with the vet about your concerns is fair and you may come away feeling much more confident about your kitty's upcoming dental surgery! If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.