Cats/Diabetic Cat

Our family cat (male, 12 years), has today been diagnosed with diabetes. We were told a treatment course that consists of prescription foods and insulin shots, I have done a bit of research and have found numerous articles stating that dry cat food is high in Carbohydrates and this is a common cause as the cat does not feel "full" and will continuously eat and build up on the amount of carbohydrates. They also highly recommend to put your diabetic cat straight onto wet meaty high in protein low in Carbs cat food. Will this work in easing my cats condition? Will he be more comfortable? The insulin shots are expensive, $80 per vile, and the food is also. I am trying to find any other way that allows him to be comfortable and for us not to have to put him down. I do not know the symptoms exactly but lately he has lost weight, 1.5 kg of his original weight of 6.5kg, he is also drinking a lot of water. He has also begun to pull out his fur but he does not seem to be stressed, he seems very calm and content, not lazy just happy. Can you help?

Hi Victoria,

I'm sorry about the diagnosis. I do have some extremely important links for you to read. They will answer all your questions about diet, insulin, and your cat's health. I think that when you read this info you will make the decision to switch his food. And I think you will be very happy for your cat and the positive change in his health. Good luck and take care.

Ciao, Karen

Karen Craft

I can give advice on cat behavior. I can help about newborn kitten care. I can help with senior cat care. I can answer questions about cat proofing a home or making it cat friendly. I can answer diet questions. I can answer home treatments questions for cats. At present I have 13 cats in home and two ferals outside. And there's always room for one more!

I have over 40 year's experience with cats. Father was a veterinarian and I assisted him in his work. I have 15 cats at present. Most are shelter or feral rescues. I have one purebred cat. I have done cat rescues and foster care. Some thoughts to carry with you. A Cat's 10 Commandments My life is likely to last 15-20 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful. Give me time to understand what you want of me. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainments. But I have only you. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it. Before you swat me, before you strike me, remember that I have teeth that could draw blood. And claws to strike back. And yet I choose not to attack you. If I don't act right then have me checked to see what is wrong. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too will grow old. On the difficult journey, on the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Because I love you so. Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful thing without God's critters. Pass this on.

I have an A.A.S.