Cats/Female Cat - Diamond

QUESTION: I believe you worked with me before (I don't remember) when Diamond was 'out of control.' She has since settled down a lot but now she is biting her back toes and chewing on them. It looks like she is trying to chew on her back claws. Is this normal? Does she maybe need her claws trimmed?"

Back claws should be trimmed once a month (fronts about every two weeks). Cats will give themselves "pedicures" from time to time.

Is Diamond strictly indoors or does she go out?

BTW, once the nails are trimmed, they are much more pleasant to be with if they like being right on you.

Best regards... Norm.

QUESTION: Ok. I will make an 'appointment' for them like on the first for me to remember to trim hers and my other cat Brando's back claws and the same for their front claws every 2 weeks.

Both Brando and Diamond are strictly indoor kitties. But I allow Brando supervised outdoor time once in a great while but that is very rare. And I actually just remembered. Brando likes to attack the carpet with his front claws and I have to holler at him before he stops. He can actually lift the carpet up when he claws it. I have a huge scratching post for them both. Is that because of his front claws?

Yes, but Brando finds the carpet on the floor more attractive then the carpet on the exercise post.  Have you tried spraying the scratching post with catnip spray or honeysuckle spray?
These may lead Brando to appreciate the scratching post much more.

Please let me know what happens.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.